EM 385 training is a type of online safety training that covers the regulations and guidelines outlined in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Safety and Health Manual, also known as the EM 385-1-1 Manual. This manual contains the safety and health requirements for construction contract work related to military or government projects.
EM 385 training is mandatory for anyone who works on military and federally funded contracts or projects, including contractors and military or government employees expected to enforce or comply with EM 385-1-1. The purpose of EM 385 training is to prepare workers to identify, avoid, control, and prevent hazards in the workplace.
EM385 Vs OSHA Training Differences
EM 385 training is different from OSHA training, which covers the general safety and health standards for most industries. EM 385 training has some additional or more stringent requirements than OSHA, such as the need for a written Accident Prevention Plan (APP) for each project, the identification of company officials responsible for safety, and the use of a Site Safety and Health Officer (SSHO) for supervision.
EM 385 training is offered for different levels of workers, depending on their roles and responsibilities. There are three main types of EM 385 training courses: 16-hour, 24-hour, and 40-hour.
16 Hour EM385 Training
The 16-hour EM 385 training course is designed for workers without supervisory duties who need an orientation to the safety standards and hazard recognition techniques for military or government projects. This course covers topics such as:
- Rights and responsibilities of workers and employers under OSHA and EM 385-1-1
- Procedures for reporting and investigating accidents and incidents
- Common hazards in the workplace, such as falls, electrocution, struck-by, caught-in/between, and exposure to hazardous substances
- Protective measures, such as the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), hazard communication, and safety and health programs
24 Hour EM385 Training
The 24-hour EM 385 training course is designed for workers with some supervisory duties who need a more comprehensive overview of the safety standards and hazard recognition techniques for military or government projects. This course covers the same topics as the 16-hour course, plus some additional topics such as:
- The requirements for a written Accident Prevention Plan (APP) and an Activity Hazard Analysis (AHA) for each project
- The role and qualifications of a Site Safety and Health Officer (SSHO)
- The specific standards of EM 385-1-1 that apply to each industry sector, such as scaffolding, ladders, electrical tools, confined spaces, and heavy machinery
40 Hour EM385 Training
The 40-hour EM 385 training course is designed for managers and supervisors who need an in-depth knowledge of the safety standards and hazard recognition techniques for military or government projects. This course covers the same topics as the 24-hour course, plus some additional topics such as:
- The principles of safety management systems and risk assessment
- The methods of hazard analysis and control
- The techniques of accident investigation and prevention
- The best practices of safety leadership and communication
EM 385 training courses are available online right here, we offer quality training that is recognized in all US states.
You can enroll in the course online at any time and complete it at your own pace.
Upon completing the course successfully, you can download your certificate of completion instantly. If you are a contractor or an employee who wants to work on military or government projects safely and legally, do not hesitate to take EM 385 training. It is an investment that pays off for your well-being and your career.